Wyoming To Reeces Corners Trail Project
The Town of Plympton-Wyoming, County of Lambton
- Next Scheduled Trail Committee Meeting - January 2012 -
- Wyoming Municipal Council Chambers -
- Public Attandance is Welcome & Encouraged -
The concept of a public trail system throughout the municipality of Plympton-Wyoming and eventual linkage to neighbouring municipalities and communities has been contemplated and supported by community residents for a number of years. More recently, the construction of a trail from north of Wyoming to Reeces Corners has been avidly considered and pursued. It is the vision of the Committee members that this major trail project in the municipality, linking Wyoming to Reeces Corners, will be a first step in eventually creating an extended trail system.
A Trail Committee was created in mid-2009, composed of local interested members of the public, Council members, and municipal staff members. The Committee is chaired by Councillor Ben
The objectives of the Wyoming-Reeces Corners Trail Committee include the following:
- To raise the funds required for the project, with intentions of using no taxation dollars to construct the trail
- To create a continuous multi-use trail route from Wyoming to Reeces Corners, on the west side of Oil Heritage Road
- To provide a multi-use, hard surface trail for walkers, hikers, cyclists, roller-bladers, skateboarders, those with strollers and baby carriages, individuals with special needs, and the public at large
- To enable health and wellness in the local community
- To enhance community spirit and participation
- To eventually link sections of existing paths and trails in the community, enhancing and extending the public trail system
The Committee will address any known or potential concerns/conflicts between users, and review design guidelines to minimize user conflicts. Public safety and accessibility will be a paramount priority of the Committee.
Timeframes & Goals
The Committee’s goal is to finalize administrative and preparatory plans in the fall of 2010, make submissions for Provincial and Federal funding when applicable, and commence and complete construction in 2011 when adequate funds and pledges have been confirmed.
Plympton-Wyoming Council has committed $20,000 as seed funding for the initial stages of the project, which have included engineering expertise for the plans and cost estimates of the trail.
Cost Estimates & Funding
Initial cost estimates for an eight-foot wide asphalt trail, 2.8 kilometers in length, from Wyoming’s north boundary (at the end of the existing sidewalk) to Reeces Corners is $375,000. Attached is a copy of the Preliminary Budget outline that has been provided by the Committee’s consulting firm. Submissions are being made to local clubs and organizations and to corporate entities to determine interest in financial assistance towards this project.
Attached is a map showing the trail’s proposed location. Also attached are drawings supplied by T.W. Gray & Associates Engineering Ltd. indicating some typical cross sections at various locations along the trail route (Sections A, B, C, and D), and a cross section indicating the trail pavement structure.
Donations & Recognition
All contributions from supportive parties will be publicly recognized if desired. Receipts for individual donations will be provided by the municipality. Advertising and promotional opportunities will be available, and will be determined by the Committee in conjunction with the respective donors. Services and donations-in-kind would be greatly appreciated, and will be recognized by the Committee accordingly.